My name is Jeff Kubick, and I am running for the open Groton-Dunstable Regional School Committee seat in Groton.
My wife Krista and I moved to Groton 11 years ago, in large part because of the reputation of the schools. Our three daughters attend Florence Roche Elementary.
Like many parents, while I have been engaged in my children’s education and school experience, I have not been as plugged into how the schools are run, funded and overseen. The recent budget crisis changed that. It became clear to me how important it is to be involved in the decisions which determine whether our schools are truly great or just average.
I joined with other concerned citizens to help launch Advocates for Promoting Educational Excellence (APEX), a coalition supporting policies to improve education in Groton and Dunstable. At the same time, I felt compelled to run for School Committee in order to be more directly involved in the fight for great schools. We need a strong vision moving us towards excellence in our district, at all levels. With my background in business management, I can help translate that vision into action, with milestones and goals by which we can measure our progress.
There is an opportunity to take a fresh look at how the district operates and how it delivers education, and to begin a discussion about how we cost-effectively deliver great schools for our kids. As a School Committee member, my priorities are to:
• Establish a vision which will guide district decisions and get our schools moving forward toward excellence at all levels
• Invest wisely in programs and services which will make a Groton-Dunstable education one of the best in the state
• Revisit several years of cuts which have compromised the overall quality of education in Groton and Dunstable
• Build appropriate oversight and controls over the district’s budgeting and financial processes to ensure the recent budgeting errors do not happen again — ever!
• Rebuild trust in the school committee and administration through accountability, improved management practices, and better communication
In spite of our current difficulties, I see the opportunity for a much brighter future for both our schools and our town. I believe the majority of our citizens want strong and vibrant schools. They also want to make sure that their tax dollars are being looked after and invested wisely. I don’t have answers for every challenge we face, but I will look for solutions which deliver upon the vision of great schools for our kids. A great town like Groton deserves great schools.
I ask for your vote on May 20th. If you’d like to learn more about my background, and the vision and priorities I have for our district, please visit my campaign website at www.jeffkubick.com.
Candidate for Groton-Dunstable Regional School Committee