Groton-Pepperell Rotary Club is planning it’s first Pizza Gala on May 18, an all-you-can eat pizza tasting event and contest to select the area restaurant serving the best pizza.
Restaurants vying for bragging rights to the area’s best pizza are:
- Blackbird Cafe
- Bruno’s Pizza,
- Groton House of Pizza
- Pizza Depot
- Pizza Pizzaz
- The Cottage on Main Street, Ayer
- Nashoba Valley Technical High School
Five judges including Mike Blood, Jane Bouvier, Ed Cataldo, and Groton Police Chief Don Palma will pick the pizza with the best crust, best cheese, best sauce, and specialty pizza. The public will vote on “The People’s Choice” and kids vote on “Kids Choice Pizza.”
Admission is $10.00 per person and children 8 and under eat free; one free soda per person is included. Proceeds raised from this event will help to support the charitable contributions and donations that Rotary provides in our community and internationally, according to Rotary spokeswoman Charlene Dapolito. That has included, she wrote in an email:
- We give an annual donation of $1,500 or clothing to our local food pantry, Loaves and Fishes.
- We interview and select four high school students ( 2 from Groton Dunstable and 2 from North Middlesex) to attend Worcester State Rotary Youth Leadership Award Conference for a week end. ($1,000 for 4 students)
- Purchase and fill book bags with school supplies for students of North Middlesex and Groton Dunstable.($500)
- Donation of $2,500 to Groton -Dunstable Chamber Chorus to travel and perform in London at the summer Olympics.
- Purchased a tablet for a special needs child at the Boutwell School.
- On an International level, our club financially assists a medical team of Rotarians (CapeCares) that travels to Honduras several times a year to provide medical and dental assistance to needy families.
- We send care packages to our well-deserved troops in Afghanistan.
- We donated $500 to two Groton School students in support of the Healing Hands of Joy Foundation that provides assistance to the Iris Fistula mission in Ethiopia.
The pizza will be served up at the Groton Country Club on Lover’s Lane, off SR 119, on May 18th from noon to 2:00 pm.