Lizzie Borden and the 40 WhacksIt’s not a rock band, but you don’t want to miss “Lizzie Borden and the 40 Whacks” at the library in a few weeks. Lynne Moulton presents the play with the Delvena Theatre Company on Sunday, February 2 from 2-3:30 p.m. at the Groton Public Library. The production is sponsored by the Groton Woman’s Club and the GPL Endowment. Free and open to all!
Aging Gracefully: Don’t Believe Everything You Think! by Barbara Rich on Wednesday, January 15 at 7 pm. There are many ancient cultural, religious, and spiritual beliefs about aging. Turning 80 is often thought to be “over the hill,” way over the hill. Turning 80 in February, Barbara Rich will offer her experiences about aging and whether some of our old scripts are ready to be recycled. A Groton resident since 1991, Barbara is a full-time Special Education advocate and part-time Yoga teacher.
Our 10th year of Groton READS starts in February! The book this year is The Art Forger by Barbara Shapiro. Our next CIO will be dedicated to Groton READS information and events! Stay tuned!
Lizzie Borden and the 40 Whacks! By the Delvena Theatre Company, Sunday Feb 2, 2-3:30 pm.
The Groton Woman’s Club and GPL Endowment are pleased to co-sponsor another lively “edutainment” production by Delvena Theatre. The performance includes a mock trial that invites the audience to participate by questioning Lizzie, played by Lynne Moulton, and voting on her guilt or innocence. (Snow date Sun, Feb 9, 2-3:30 pm.)
A Flock of Days, the latest art exhibit in the gallery features printmaker Pam Lawson and painter Heather K. Lenz. The exhibit will be on view through January 18, 2014.
The French Conversation Group meets every other Thursday @ GPL. All are welcomed to the next meetings on January 9 & 23 at 7 pm. Venez pratiquer votre français!
Young Adult Programs
• NEW! Our first-ever YA Winter Reading Program! “Reading is Snow Much Fun!” started Dec 21 and runs through Jan 21. Sign up online, log the books you read, and win prizes, such a chocolate, ear buds, movie passes! For grades 6-12.
• Magic the Gathering Club,* Weds, Jan 15 & 29, 3-5 pm. Bring your friends and enjoy the game, prizes, and refreshments! Grades 6 and up.
• Minecraft, Wed, Jan 29, 7-8:30 pm. Minecraft fans get together every month to play on the library’s dedicated server. If you don’t already have your own Minecraft account, please let us know. Grades 6-12.
• YA Anime Club,* Wed, Feb 5, 7-8:30 pm. Anime and manga fans gather to view episodes of their favorite anime shows that we download from Crunchyroll. Cosplay welcomed! Grades 6-12.
• Tales and Tunes with Jeannie Mack,* Fri, Jan 10, 10:30-11:15 am.**
• Mother Goose Story Time, Wednesdays, 10:30-11 am & 11:15-11:45 am. Babies & toddlers and their caregivers.
• Story Time for 3, 4 & 5 Year-Olds, Thursdays, 10:30-11 am.
• Chapter Book Read-Aloud with Jennie, Tuesdays, Jan 14 & 28, 4-4:30 pm. Grades K-2.
• Read to Roly or Huggs, Wednesdays, 4-5 pm. Roly and Huggs are certified therapy dogs who love children, books, and reading. You may sign your child up for one 15-minute session with Roly or Huggs. For additional information or to sign-up, please call or email.
• Minecraft Junior for Grades 2-5, Wed, Jan 22, 7-8 pm. Play on the library’s dedicated server. Sign up online. Participants must have their own Minecraft account.
• Mini-Motions,* Fridays, Jan 17 & 31, 10:30-11:30 am.** Karyn from Mini Motions will lead this lively creative movement program which includes dance, music, stretching, and creative skills with hoops and beanbags. Ages 2 ½ – 5 years.
• Lego Club, Tues, Jan 21, 4-5 pm. Lego builders ages 6-12, bring your imaginations! We supply the Legos. Sign up online one week ahead.
• Movie Morning for Toddler/Preschool Kids, Fri, Jan 24, 10:30 am-12:30 pm. Join us for an age-appropriate movie for toddlers & preschoolers. Selections include children’s books-to-films like Mo Willem’s Don’t Let the Pigeons Drive the Bus. Please bring a snack and clear drink for your little one.
Always free and open to all.