I hope you are enjoying the beautiful summer, the Groton farm-fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables that I love and use in my cuisine, and Iftaar gatherings with friends who celebrate Ramadaan.
We are near the end of Ramadaan, the month of fasting for Muslims. Hope you had a chance to read Ramadaan in Groton: A time of learning tranquility, on The Groton Line, which talks about some basics of what this month is about and how do the followers of Ramadaan observe this month.
As promised, I am sharing a popular Alloo Channa Chat, a Potato and Chick Pea salad recipe, that is easy to assemble and is a healthy choice during Ramadaan time. Allo Channa Chat is favorite for non-vegetarians and vegetarians alike. Alloo means potato in Urdu, a language spoken in Pakistan, India, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and many other countries around the world. Channa are chick peas, a high protein legume also known as Garbonzo beans. Garbonzo beans have a rich history from their origination in the Middle East. For more rich details of this amazing heavenly bean you can visit http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=58.
Recipe: Aaloo Chana Chaat For Two
Summary: A tasty chick pea salad for two. Vegetarian.
- otatoes boiled and cubed 2 medium red or white potatoes
- Chickpeas (chanay) boiled 2 1/2 cups or Gorbanzo can 1
- Green chilies finely chopped 1 to 2 – according to your taste
- Tomatoes one medium or two roma or small chopped about 1/2 a cup
- White onion chopped 1/4 cup (can add green onions with greens too)
- Coriander leaves chopped 1/2 cup
- Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp or to your taste
- Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp or tamarind juice or syrup 1/4 cup
- In a large bowl mix together boiled and cubed potatoes, boiled chickpeas, finely chopped green chilies, chopped coriander leaves, chopped tomatoes, chopped white onions, lemon juice or tamarind juice, salt, red chili powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and thinly sliced onion.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
For more Middle Eastern recipes...
http://www.masala.tv/category/ramadan-recipes/- Pakistani Recipes
http://www.zaiqa.com/recipes/zaiqa-tv/ – Pakistani Recipes
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/holidays-and-events/ramadan/top.aspx Pakistani recipes
http://www.epicurious.com/recipesmenus/holidays/ramadan/recipes Middle Eastern Recipes
http://www.food.com/recipes/ramadan-middle-eastern Middle Eastern Recipes