David Lebovitz is one of my heroes, and this is one of many reasons why. Click this link: Iced Chocolate. He took a good recipe – Serenditpity’s Frozen Hot Chocolate – and improved it. How do I know? He replaced hot chocolate mix with plain cocoa powder and ice with ice cream. I haven’t made it yet and if you try it before I do, let me know what you think.
If you need a great home made chocolate ice cream recipe, try this Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream.
This ice cream is for people who like their chocolate really dark. I use a Cuisinart ice cream machine.
Recipe: Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (Green & Black”s or Valrhona)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Ghiradelli Bittersweet chocolate chips (or 8 ounces ch0pped bittersweet chocolate)
- 1 Tablespoon espresso powder
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat combine the milk and heavy cream. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the milk mixture and then add the empty pod to it, too. Simmer it all over low heat for 30 minutes, then remove and discard the bean pod.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the sugar, cocoa, espresso powder, eggs and egg yolk until thick. Measure about 1 cup of the hot milk/cream mixture and, with the mixer on low, add in a thin stream to the egg/sugar mixture, mixing thoroughly. Stir the chocolate chips to the hot milk/cream that remains in the pan and once the chips have mostly melted, add the egg/sugar mixture to it. Cook over low hear stirring constantly until it thickens and looks like chocolate pudding. Remove to a heatproof bowl, cool ever so slightly and then cover with plastic wrap pressed to the surface (so that a skin does not form on the top). refrigerate until completely chilled, 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into the ice cream maker (it won”t pour if it”s thoroughly chilled) and mix until thickened, about 30 minutes. It may be served immediately or further firmed in the freezer until ready to serve. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8