Groton’s Jennifer Mieth Public, the Information Officer for the State Fire Marshal, urged residents to adopt a fire hydrant in the wake of the Blizzard of ’13.
“In a fire seconds count,” State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said “,So help your fire department protect you and your neighbors but removing snow from nearby fire hydrants.” Fire officials are urging those who are able to do so, to shovel snow away from fire hydrants in case access to them is needed quickly.
Coan also issued a fire safety warning for people who experience a power outage from this storm. “This large snowstorm and its high winds caused widespread power outages,” said Coan. “It is important to take steps to stay safe and prevent fires and carbon monoxide poisoning,” he added.
“People who suffered a power outage should take precautions to prepare for restoration of the power,” said State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan. “Make sure appliances that might have been on when the power went out like stoves and ovens are turned off and clear of items that might catch fire.”
Clear the outside furnace, hot water and dryer vents of snow to prevent flue gases from backing up into the home and creating a carbon monoxide hazard. “This is especially important if the power has been out,” said Coan.
“Don’t use your oven for heat and don’t bring a charcoal or gas grill inside to cook; doing so can cause carbon monoxide poisoning,” he said. Generators are a common source of carbon monoxide poisoning during extended power outages. Coan warned, “Use generators outdoors only. Using generators or gas or charcoal grills inside the garage — even with the door open –- poses a serious risk of CO poisoning.”