Two political newcomers and one of Groton’s political old hands are running a three-way race for the Selectman’s seat left open by Fran Dillon’s retirement. Erich Garger of Redskin Trail and Jack Petropoulos of Kemp Street are taking on Bob Hargraves, a former selectman and former state representative who now serves on the town Financial Committee. Hargraves ran unsuccessfully in the 2010 Selectman’s race, finishing behind incumbents Josh Degen and Stuart Schulman.
The election will be held on May 22. Except for one one-year Water Commission seat to fill the remainder of an unexpired term, all offices are for three-year terms.
In contrast to the contested field for Selectman, a seat on the Park Commission is open and without candidates. David Howes is leaving the Park Commission when his term expires after the election this spring. In 2011, four candidates ran for two seats on the Park Commission. According to Town Clerk Michael Bouchard, an office without a candidate on the ballot would be filled by the write-in candidate who receives the most votes. If there are no write-ins, the seat would be filled by a joint appointment by the Park Commission and the Board of Selectmen.
Other boards and commissions have a match between openings and candidates seeking those openings. Three Planning Board seats are open. Two are likely to be filled by incumbents Russell Burke of Old Ayer Road and Carolyn Perkins of Reedy Meadow. Tim Svarczkopf, of Champney Street, is the third official candidate. Incumbent Ray Capes is leaving the board.
The Water Commission two openings. Incumbent Gary Hoglund of Duck Pond Road is seeking re-election. A one year opening created by the resignation of Alvin Collins on December 12, 2011. Jessica Cajigas of Orr Road was appointed by the Board of Selectmen to fill Collins’ vacant seat on February 6 and is running for the reminder of his term in this election.
The list of incumbents seeking reelection to their positions and who are running unopposed includes:
- Town Clerk Michael Bouchard
- Groton-Dunstable Regional School Committee members Berta Erickson of Boston Road and Alison Manugian of Shepley Street
- Groton Library Trustees Kristen Von Camp of Lowell Road and Jane Allen of Shattuck Street.
- Board of Assessors member Jenifer Evans of Smith Street
- Board of Health Commissioner Susan Horowitz of Lowell Road
- Commissioner of Trust Funds Joseph Twomey of Martins Pond Road
- Groton Electric Light Commissioner Kevin Lindemer of Boston Road
- Sewer Commissioner Tom Hartnett of Martins Pond Road
- Housing Authority member Alicia Hersey of Old Ayer Road
The retirement of long-time Town Moderator Robert Gosselin opens that office to an unopposed run by Jason Kauppi of Townsend Road.